Monday, March 22, 2010

It's Official and some background

I have received the "ok" and shall be going ahead with the PDR. I will be using the Thoth deck. This deck, as stated before, has entered my life now and again, but I never felt ready to use it. Using it requires more than just a general understanding of traditional tarot symbolism and meanings, it requires deeper study and meditation (at least that is what I have always felt, ymmv).

I have started by checking out (or, "try before you buy") Lon Milo DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot and The Book of Thoth (which I have read before). I have read the intros to each book, and am basically reading DuQuette, then reading Crowley for each section.

I am not unfamiliar with Mr. Crowley, we have had an interesting affair over the years. I read some of his work (borrowed from a friend), then was abused by my then boyfriend for having that "Satanic, devil worshipping..blah blah blah" in the house. Ouch. Later, I would sneak read in the library (amazing the number of Mr. Crowley's books that are in libraries). And many years later, remembering what happened before, I bought (AND HID) a copy of one of the many biographies of Mr. Crowley (Lawrence Sutin's Do What Thou Wilt). Amazing book - quite central in viewpoint. For several years, I was a concerned about what my husband would think (different guy!). But really, he didn't care because he knows and trusts me.

Finally, after poring many hours over the information at The Tarot Garden about the various decks, I decided that, damn it! I was going to get a deck of my own. It was time. I felt ready to take on the Thoth. But which one???

I am trying not to regret the one I got (Purple Box), but I really wish the pictures were more vibrant and that I had gotten the larger format... But for now, these are fine. Maybe a different Thoth will fall into my lap at some time?

So after spending a weekend at the coast on vacation and reading about the symbolism in the Rosicrucian Cross and about the colors used by Lady Harris, and just brushing up on general Crowley Lore, I am ready to jump in. With both feet. Planted unfirmly in air...

No comments:

Post a Comment