Why do I see the Hierophant the way I do? Why do I not see the heavy-hand of doctrine? Well, on one hand I do. Doctrine is what one accepts before one can reason for oneself. In Poppy Palin's Waking the Wild Spirit, there is what I think is my favorite "Hierophant." He is called "Interpreter." This name sums up what I feel is the purpose of the Hierophant. He interprets the messages from God, Goddess, Spirit, Nature, etc., and delivers it to the waiting Fool. The Fool is only just starting to get a handle on basic concepts and asking her to take on the messages from "beyond" is just asking too much!
This doesn't mean that it is an unbiased interpretation and that is the "danger" of the Hierophant. Following the word of an intermediary (Interpreter) is not something to do lightly. Take that interpretation, weigh it against what you know and believe, and arise at your own conclusion. This is the lesson of the Hierophant.

Oh, I love this version of the Hierophant, that's the first time I've seen it! I'd love to get this deck, but it's OOP. ::sigh:: Just have to keep my eyes open for one.
ReplyDeleteOn the Llewellyn website, Barbara Moore did a month-long look at the Hierophant in her Tarot blog. Very interesting material. It helped me to umm...come to terms... with some of the more difficult aspects of the Hierophant.
:) Leigh
Leigh, I will go and check out Barbara Moore's tarot blog. I find the Hierophant to be quite fascinating. I don't have a "history" with religious education, so I wonder if that tempers my view of the card? I also like the Mythic Tarot Hierophant - it is Chiron, the Centaur son of Kronos. He is a very positive figure and on the card itself, he is partially hidden in a cave, which I think adds some mystery to it all!
ReplyDelete