Patrick Valenza
US Games, 2008
Italian & Chinese Printings (signed, etc)
I bought this deck in early 2009 from Tarot Garden. I was quite excited to get it, but soon regretted the purchase.
The card stock is the primary reason that I regretted purchasing this deck. Heavily laminated and with a harsh chemical smell. I thought it would dissipate over time, but it did not. The cards are so stiff and plastic that it is no fun to handle. I used it a few times and regrettably had to put it away because of the stench.
Forward a few years and people are talking about this new printing. For Christmas 2010, I decided I would buy one directly from Patrick. It is a signed deck with a lovely drawing on the brown paper wrapping. And best of all - it is a nice sturdy non-laminated card stock. It is similar to the Grail Tarot. It is really amazing that this sturdy card stock actually shuffles - and does so easily! It feels good in the hand and does not trigger my asthma.I always had good readings with this deck - though like the Victorian Flowers, it seemed overly prying and personal. Readings for others brought out dark secrets and things best forgotten. I use it sparingly now and only on request. I will hold on to it, but I don't use it often. It is more of an "occasion" deck.
Rating: Chinese: Keeper (special use)
Italian: Toxic and I will not pass it on. Buy the new version.

I have a fiery passion for this deck that will never die and even the toxicity of the Italian printing could not diminish. I adore all the Chinese printings from US Games, of which I know there are also the Haindl, Morgan Greer, Original Rider Waite (blue box), Paulina, Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set, Sun and Moon, and one day I hope for a Hermetic.
ReplyDelete