Ed Buryn
Tools and Rites of Transformation, Nevada City, CA
2010
I bought this directly from Ed Buryn in January of 2011. It had been on my wish list forever, but the collector value of the 1st edition of this deck made it unlikely that I'd ever get one. I was quite excited when the revised edition became available.
From discussions at Aeclectic Tarot, it seems that there were some printing issues (off center, etc.), however, I was fortunate in that my deck didn't seem afflicted with that. There was some damage, a medium sized triangular crease, in the 2 of Poetry, but Mr. Buryn replaced the card immediately. The card stock is extremely flimsy and for riffle shuffling it requires some care and consideration!
For a beginner, this deck might pose some problems. The suits are completely different, there is an extra card (00 Eternity), and the courts are renamed. The LWB does not have a list of equivalences, but I was able to find them on the Internet. Mr. Buryn has promised his larger writings about this deck will be made available on line, but to date I have not seen it. The LWB is okay, but unless you are a scholar of William Blake's work, you may find it difficult to understand what is going on in these cards. That being said, if you do have some understanding of Mr. Blake's work and his world view, the cards take on a whole new dimension.As a reading deck, I found it to be easily read from an intuitive picture reading aspect. It doesn't really follow the RWS system, at least not to my eye. It is a fascinating art deck and a in interesting look into the artwork of Wm. Blake.
Rating: Keeper+/ Collectible

No comments:
Post a Comment