Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 7 – May 13, 2011 ~ Legend: Arthurian

Legend: Arthurian Tarot
Anna-Marie Fergusun
Llewellyn, 1998

I received this deck in 2003 as a gift from an anonymous person at the old Delphi Forums "Witches Thicket."  It came from Connecticut, but there was no name.  She sent the book as well.

It is a perfectly lovely deck of average size.  The card stock is neither good nor bad.  My only complaint is that my eyes aren't that good and I think I miss alot of detail in the watercolor art.  The medium of watercolor seems appropriate for this deck. It has a definite dreamy quality about it.

The suits are fairly routine, but with a couple little changes - Shields are Disks, Spears are Wands.  The pages are completely different than the rest of the deck and are the animal guides of the suit.  As shown in the Ten of Spears, there is a small placard on each card that has a visual representation of the card - in this case, there are 10 Spears.  Personally, I find them to distract from the cards.

As a reading deck, I find that it works great for storyboard readings.  These are basically three cards read as a story from one card to the next, like an illustrated novel. It is one of those decks that requires knowledge of the back story of each card and character.  Without it, the deck can be read intuitively, but it lacks substance.  However, add familiarity with the stories and characters and the deck takes on new life.   The story is timeless as it follows Percivale on the Grail Quest. 

Rating: Keeper

1 comment:

  1. One of my top 20. I like the getting of the deck better than the deck I think, long story, but it's a keeper for me too.
    hugs, Sharyn/AJ

    ReplyDelete