Thoth (White Box, Small Card Size)
Aleister Crowley, Lady Freida Harris
US Games, 1997
Back in June 2011, I spent a lovely week with the US Games Purple Box Thoth. There really isn't much I can add about the deck itself. This is, afterall, just an older version of the Purple Box Thoth. It is in small card size and has three magi.

One significant difference, however, is the card stock. I have three different small card decks. One Purple Box from 2006, a White Box Small Card from 1997, and another from 1987. This particular week was spent with the 1997 deck. The card stock is more satiny and less plasticky. The colors are a bit more vivid, but the 1987 version is more vivid yet. There are about 10 years separateing each of the decks. It is amazing the change of quality from one to the next.
For this week, I included all three magii. I thought it would be fun to see what came up and whether it made a difference. This particular Magus came up in a reading this week and honestly, it made much more sense in that particular reading than the official Magus would. This Magus is definitely multi-tasking and it related well to the reading, but what really added was the shadowing figure of the Ape of Thoth looming behind the Magus. It really gave an impression of the Ape controlling the Magus. He pulls the strings as evidenced by the Ape's hands on the Magus' wrists. Just very interesting. There are two more Thoth versions on the list for the year. Both are the large size versions. One is an old Greenie and the other is a new US Games Green Box. I do hope to add more versions to my Thoth collection.
Rating: Favorite
The Thoth is one deck I'm glad I didn't give up on. There are so many layers to it, and it will give up all of them if I spend some time studying it!
ReplyDelete