Pythagorean TarotJohn Opsopaus, Rho
Llewellyn, 2001
I bought this particular deck on a whim. Yes, a math induced whim. See, I was a student for 4 of the last 6 years and most of my classes were variations on a common theme: calculus. A deck relating to to Pythagorean philosophy and numerology was too hard to resist! It was a good decision, even though I rarely use the deck for readings.
First, the physical aspects of the deck - typical Llewellyn (printed by Lo Scarabeo) deck. HUGE packaging, no box or bag for the deck, lightly laminated, and a decent size. But warped. Severely warped. Doesn't bother me a whole lot as I don't use it often. The accompanying text is a massive volume that is also available on the web. In fact, the author's website is spectacular. The written material is very good and well cited. I review the website
frequently as I am just too lazy to take notes or memorize. The drawings by Rho appeal to me and the use of color is good.
On to what I like about the deck. First, I don't read with it. I could, but I choose not to. To me, this is like a deck of flash cards of Pythagorean numerology and Ancient Greek. The pips are among the most expressive non-illustrated pips I have seen. The consistent use of color and specific symbolism makes it easy to see the progression of the suit through the numbers. At one point, I did a comparison of the suit of cups using both the Mythic Tarot and the Pythagorean Tarot. Very interesting, and an "A-ha!" moment for me. The Majors are interesting and involve more Ancient Greek "stuff" than I am willing to study. This is the deck that taught me the numerology that I use when I read tarot.I doubt I will ever regularly read with this deck, but I also doubt it will ever leave my collection.
Rating: Keeper+
According to Llewellyn's website their decks are printed in Texas and always have been so they can have hands on control.
ReplyDeleteI still feel bad for my high school algebra teacher, I was hopeless. Yet in quilting I bet I'm using algebra every time I design and cut a quilt, painlessly and intuitively. Instead of story questions about apples and oranges, they should have been about fabric and scissors :)