Friday, September 30, 2011

September 24 - 30, 2011 ~ Wildwood Tarot

The Wildwood Tarot
Mark Ryan, John Matthews
Artwork by Will Worthington
Sterling Ethos, 2011


I originally per-ordered this deck from Tarot Garden, but then decided not to purchase it.  For some reason, I just didn’t want it.   In August of 2011, while attending SF BATS, Mark Ryan came up to a vendor table and tripped over me.  He held a box with 8 copies of the Wildwood Tarot.  We talked a bit, he gave me a copy from the box and told me he’d sign it later. 

I purchased my new Wildwood deck and later attended his workshop where he discussed the deck and the Bow Spread.  It was a very good presentation and I greatly enjoyed it.  Afterwards, he signed everybody’s book, including mine.

The card stock is reminiscent of the Grail Tarot.  I like that thick card stock with the varnish feel.  The colors are muted, but natural looking.  The backs are quite plain, but then again, really, do they need to be decorated?

The deck follows the Wheel of the Year.  That isn’t an issue for me as I follow the Wheel of the Year.  The deck feels right.  And I like it a great deal.

As I have used it over the week, it made me think about why I like it so much.  And I believe it is because I can relate to the images.  They make sense to me - rather than the RW images that while wholly adequate, lack that something that speaks to me.  I have to study and read books to understand the symbolism so I can have a cohesive understanding of the cards.  But with decks like the Wildwood, it isn’t necessary.  I throw down a card and it makes sense.  I like to read the book as it adds to what I already know.  Provides a little bit of insight into the what the creators were trying to accomplish.   I feel these decks rather than read them. 

Readings over the week have been encouraging and illuminating.  I read the negative comments at Aeclectic Tarot and wonder if they are looking at the same deck? Though, truly, I think many members diss decks like these for the same reason I tend to diss the Rider Waite.  They don’t get the symbolism. It is not part of their sphere of understanding.  For me, it just makes sense.  And in the end, that is all that matters.

Rating: Favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment